Carlsbad Birth Injury Lawyer
The birth of a child should be a joyful time for parents. Unfortunately, for many parents, their joy quickly turns to fear that their child has suffered a birth injury. At Pursley Law Firm, we have worked with many new parents to discuss why they suspect a birth injury and whether they have a legal right to sue their doctor or hospital.
Birth injuries present complex legal problems. The fact that your child has developmental delays does not necessarily mean they were injured in the womb or during labor. Still, many doctors make medical errors that compromise the health and safety of mother and child. Call to speak with our Carlsbad birth injury lawyer in a free consultation.
What is Medical Negligence?
Doctors and hospitals owe their patients a duty of care. As medical professionals, doctors must receive adequate instruction and training. They also must follow the correct standard of care when treating patients. Unfortunately, many obstetricians commit medical negligence, also called medical malpractice.
Your child could be injured due to:
- Delayed C-section. Your baby could be in distress, but your doctor takes too long to decide to order a c-section.
- Medication errors. Your doctor could prescribe medication while you are pregnant that causes birth defects.
- Failure to monitor. Either the mother or baby could show signs of distress, which a careful doctor would notice and then respond to appropriately.
- A doctor might not correctly diagnose a medical condition, such as preeclampsia, so a patient does not receive adequate treatment.
- A hospital might have too few staff members, which is why they fail to monitor patients.
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors. The doctor might break bones or cause nerve damage due to misuse of these extraction devices.
- Early discharge. A mother or child could be injured from labor, but a doctor sends them home prematurely.
Many problems during delivery are unforeseen. But a competent doctor should rely on their knowledge to respond quickly and appropriately. Doctors cannot guarantee a problem-free birth, but they should provide competent care.
Medical malpractice can lead to serious injuries:
- Eye injuries
- Cerebral palsy
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Subconjunctival hemorrhage
- Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy
- Birth defects
- Shoulder dystocia
- Brachial plexus injury
Some injuries might improve as your child grows, but others will cause lifelong learning disabilities and motor impairment. Some children unfortunately die because of poor medical care during delivery.
We Can Sue for a Birth Defect
If your team committed a medical error, they should take responsibility. Unfortunately, many parents are left in the dark that anything unusual happened during labor and delivery. In fact, the doctor might not respond to your phone calls or could deny you a copy of your medical records.
Call Pursley Law Firm. We will secure all medical data and records for review with our team of experts. Ultimately, our goal is to uncover whether your doctor or hospital was negligent, and then seek compensation to cover your child’s medical care, lost opportunities, and pain and suffering. An experienced Carlsbad birth injury lawyer is ready to take your call.