Carlsbad Elevator Accident Lawyer
Elevators are found in many buildings in Carlsbad. Although a convenient way to travel between floors, elevator accidents are often very traumatic. Suddenly, passengers are thrown against each other and can suffer concussions, sprains, and neck injuries. Please reach out to Pursley Law Firm today if you were hurt in this type of accident. Not every personal injury lawyer in Carlsbad is prepared to handle this type of premises liability claim. But our Carlsbad elevator accident lawyer is ready to assist you in your fight for compensation.
Why Elevator Accidents Happen
Some of the most common elevator accidents in Carlsbad include:
- Falling elevators. Nothing is scarier than being trapped in an elevator that’s in freefall. Modern design has limited the risk that the elevator will fall all the way to the ground, but serious injuries can still occur. The fright alone might force people to stop taking elevators for years afterwards.
- Over-speeding elevators. An elevator might climb much too rapidly and crash into the roof of the building.
- Sudden stoppage. Elevators should come to a smooth stop. Unfortunately, a sudden stop can toss people around inside the elevator.
- Door entrapment. A door might close suddenly and trap a passenger’s arm or leg. These accidents are often deadly if the elevator starts moving with the person wedged in between the doors.
What causes these accidents? If you hire our firm, we can review all inspection records and possibly visit the elevator with an expert engineer to look for defects. The following tend to be the culprit for most elevator accidents:
- Poor maintenance of hoist cables and safety devices
- Interlock circuit bypass
- Delay in fixing safety issues
- Lapsed safety inspection schedule
- Property management company negligence
- Shoddy repair work by technicians
- Manufacturer or design defect
Elevator accidents are avoidable when property owners promptly shut down any elevator that is acting in an unusual manner. Unfortunately, some owners pinch pennies and delay inspections. In other buildings, there is only one elevator servicing all floors, so they can’t shut it down as they wait for a repair technician to come out to the property.
Accident victims deserve compensation when hurt in an elevator accident. Many victims are left with serious disabilities, including concussions, paralysis, and chronic pain. When an arm is trapped in an elevator door, a person could even suffer amputation. These catastrophic injuries cost thousands of dollars to treat and lead directly to lost income and wages. Victims also struggle with the pain and emotional consequences of a serious injury.
Pursley Law Firm can help anyone hurt in an elevator in a hospital, shopping mall, or condominium building. Property owners should have liability insurance, and elevator manufacturers are also liable under California law for putting defective products on the market.
Knowledge Handling All Causes Of Elevator Accidents
According to the CDC, the United States has about 10,000 serious injuries and 30 deaths due to elevators every year. Some of the most common causes of elevator accidents include:
- Sliding doors causing crushing or pinching incidents
- Mis-leveled elevator floors causing trip-and-fall or slip-and-fall accidents
- Elevators moving at excessively high speeds
- Falls into open elevator shafts
- Faulty wiring causing burns or electrocution
Because I have handled a vast spectrum of injury cases, I know how to preserve evidence, gather witness testimony and consult with experts to strengthen your case.
Property owners, elevator manufacturers and maintenance companies will have a fleet of powerful attorneys; you deserve an attorney on your side as well. I have the in-depth knowledge necessary to negotiate a settlement or bring your case to trial if necessary.
Call Us for a Free Case Review
Elevator accidents are frightening. Fortunately, you do not have to negotiate a settlement on your own. We are here to help. Call Pursley Law Firm today to speak with a seasoned Carlsbad elevator accident lawyer, who can answer any questions you might have.