Carlsbad Slip & Fall Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, and innocent people end up flat on their backs with serious injuries. If you were injured in a slip and fall, contact Pursley Law Firm. California has one of the most confusing premises liability laws, so you need an experienced legal advocate to help analyze whether you can bring a personal injury claim. Reach out to our Carlsbad slip & fall lawyer for a free consultation.
Common Hazards that Lead to Falls
Most slip and falls are caused by some hazard on the ground or floor which causes you to lose your balance. When you fall, you can suffer serious injuries, such as:
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Rib fractures
- Herniated discs
- Organ damage
- Knee or shoulder injuries
- Sprains or strains
Unsafe conditions on the property cause many falls. For example, trash, debris, or spilled liquids will cause unsuspecting people to slip. Other hazards include wet leaves, worn carpets, or crumbling staircases. Even poor lighting or missing staircase banisters can contribute to falls.
Many of our clients are injured in stores or other public buildings. The property owner owes a duty of care to anyone they invite inside. Failure to fix hazards or inspect the building for defects can make the owner liable when you fall. Please call us to learn more about premises liability law.
We can also bring a slip and fall claim against a private property owner, depending on the facts. For example, your child could slip and fall at a friend’s house and fall into a swimming pool, almost drowning. Private homeowners also owe visitors a duty of care when they invite them inside.
Businesses should have a liability insurance policy to cover injuries on the premises, and many homeowners do as well. Contact Pursley Law Firm for help negotiating a settlement with an insurer. You can also help yourself after the fall by collecting as much evidence as possible. For example, you should:
- Document the hazard that caused you to trip. The property owner could fix the problem and then claim it never existed. Other hazards, like spilled water, will simply evaporate. Use your phone to get a picture or have witnesses who can testify as to its existence.
- Notify the property owner promptly that you fell. This will help protect other visitors who might slip and fall.
- Go to the hospital to see a doctor. A doctor can diagnose your injuries, including a concussion. Remember to do everything your doctor recommends, including rest if necessary. Some injuries require that you limit activity for months.
- Document your financial losses, such as medical bills and lost income. Share this information with your lawyer.
Understanding Premise Liability Claims
You may have a premises liability claim when you are injured on someone else’s property, whether it is a business, an apartment building, a home or even public spaces maintained by a governmental body.
Examples of premises liability claims include:
- Slip-and-falls or trip-and-falls
- Elevator accidents
- Construction site injuries
- Swimming pool injuries
- Home accidents (in someone else’s home)
- Dog bites and attacks
The common thread is a hidden hazard or dangerous condition. Property owners are responsible for injuries resulting from slippery floors, tripping hazards, broken stairs or handrails, falling merchandise, missing warning signs and other safety threats.
In a premises liability case, you must prove that the owner either knew or should have known of the danger but failed take timely action to protect visitors. I can help.
My Job Is To Get You Your Full Compensation
I am personal injury attorney Jared Pursley, and I have helped individuals in Carlsbad, Oceanside, San Marcos and the surrounding communities of San Diego County recover compensation for their slip and fall injuries.
Most property owners have homeowners insurance or property and casualty insurance to cover injuries on the property. However, their insurers will do everything in their power to deny liability or minimize what they pay to injury victims.
I can make sure your claim is not undervalued by the insurance companies. I am familiar with the injuries and losses resulting from slip-and-falls and premises liability accidents. Under California law, you can recover damages for:
- Medical bills, including surgery or physical therapy
- Medications or medical equipment
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Replacement services (landscaping, child care, etc.)
- Permanent disability or loss of a limb
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
Loss Of Loved Ones
In wrongful death cases after fatal accidents, certain family members can collect damages for funeral and burial expenses, lost income of the deceased family member and loss of the person’s support and companionship. If you lost a loved one in a slip and fall accident, I can help.
Some lawyers have never tried a case or are quick to accept the insurance companies’ lowball offers. I have the skill and experience to take your case to court if necessary. My trial experience gives me leverage to demand a better settlement or take the property owner to court to get full value for your claim.
Were You Injured By An Unsafe Property Condition In California?
Our law firm can communicate with the property owner about your accident and convince them to accept liability. If they refuse, we might file a lawsuit to protect you. Call our Carlsbad slip and fall lawyer for more information about the legal process for recovering compensation.