Carlsbad Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Nursing home abuse is a secret in the long-term care industry. Each year, thousands of seniors and other vulnerable adults are abused in California nursing homes. Even though the state has agencies which supervise the long-term care industry, dangerous homes continue to operate. If you suspect a loved one is being abused in a nursing home, please contact Pursley Law Firm. Our Carlsbad nursing home abuse lawyer can investigate any suspected abuse and discuss your legal rights in a consultation.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
Many vulnerable adults in nursing homes cannot advocate for themselves. They might be sick or suffering signs of dementia. Others are simply afraid of the staff and will never speak up about abuse. It’s up to concerned friends and family members to look for signs and then contact an lawyer.
Call Pursley Law if you see the signs of any type of abuse:
- Sexual abuse—bleeding or bruising on the genitals, sexually transmitted infections, or inappropriate sexual behavior from your loved one. Sexual abuse is a real problem in nursing homes.
- Physical abuse—fractures, head injuries, bruises, dehydration, and malnutrition. A resident not receiving medication as prescribed is also suffering from abuse.
- Emotional abuse—sudden change in mood, fear of staff members, and emotional withdrawal are all signs of emotional abuse.
- Financial abuse—calls from collection agencies, missing money, or any attempt to change a resident’s will should be huge red flags. A staff member could be stealing or have committed identity theft.
Also, try to go to the nursing home at an unusual time. If you always visit on Sunday mornings, then show up Wednesday in the afternoon. Abusive staff tend to learn your schedule, and you might catch them terrorizing or assaulting your loved one if you arrive unannounced at an unusual time.
Your Legal Options
If your loved one is being abused, then you should immediately:
- Contact the state’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program to report elder abuse. They can open an investigation into the nursing home.
- Report the abuse to the nursing home management. They need to know a staff member is abusing residents. They should also investigate.
- Coordinate with your lawyer to move your loved one away from the nursing home to somewhere safe.
- Get appropriate medical care and mental health services for the victim.
Our firm will also discuss bringing a lawsuit for the abuse. We can sue the person who assaulted your loved one, and in some cases we can even sue the nursing home. For example, a nursing home that failed to perform background checks on new hires or never investigated suspected abuse is probably liable. We can even sue if your loved one didn’t suffer abuse but was neglected. Nursing home neglect leads to many of the same injuries.
We Will Protect Your Loved One from Abuse
Pursley Law Firm is committed to the well-being of some of the most vulnerable people in society. To speak with our Carlsbad nursing home abuse lawyer, reach out today by phone or online.