Carlsbad Spine Injury Lawyer
Spine injuries are among the most difficult to rehabilitate, and anyone who suffers damage to their spinal column in an accident should immediately contact an lawyer. At Pursley Law Firm, we have helped spinal injury victims and their families understand the road ahead. These are very expensive injuries, and whoever hurt you should pay compensation to cover medical care and lost income. Please reach out to us today. In a private consultation, our Carlsbad spine injury lawyer will answer any questions you have and provide an overview of the personal injury claims process.
Types of Spinal Column Injuries
The spinal column consists of 33 vertebrae which surround the spinal cord running from the base of the brain to your tailbone. Nerves branch off the spinal cord and pass through openings in the vertebrae, connecting the cord to your distant limbs. It is because of the spinal cord that people can clench their fists and wriggle their toes.
The vertebrae are strong enough to protect your spinal cord in the event of a soft knock to your back. But more traumatic accidents can lead to:
- Cracked vertebrae. Any of the 33 vertebrae could crack, or they could pull away from each other. Common symptoms are pain and numbness. Bracing and physical therapy, along with pain management, are conservative treatments, but some vertebrae require surgery.
- Spinal stenosis. The spinal channel can narrow and press on nerves, leading to chronic pain and weakness.
- An accident can lead to the degeneration of your spinal column. The pieces of bone that link the vertebrae together (called the pars interarticularis) can become damaged.
- Herniated disc. There are rubbery pads in between the vertebrae that provide cushion when your spine moves. A traumatic accident like a car wreck can damage these pads or displace them.
- Spinal cord damage. The cord can be bruised, shredded, nicked, torn, or completely cut in two. Any damage to the cord will result in impaired movement or sensation (or both). A bruise might heal on its own, but any cutting or nicking can lead to permanent loss of sensation or movement. And when the cord is completely severed, then a person is paralyzed below the point of injury.
Spinal injuries vary in severity. A person with a shredded spinal cord can incur six-figure medical bills, while someone with a herniated disc might need rest and steroid injections. Nonetheless, many spinal injury victims struggle with pain and suffering, and many cannot work. We will help you understand your legal rights to compensation.
Call Us to Get Started
Many spinal cord injuries are caused by truck accidents, car wrecks, slip and falls, elevator accidents, and other traumatic events. We can review who might have caused your injuries and then bring a personal injury claim against them for economic losses, like medical care. We also seek compensation for the pain and emotional distress these injuries cause our clients. Please reach out to Pursley Law Firm to schedule a meeting with our Carlsbad spine injury lawyer.