Do you know which dogs in California have the most damaging bite?
All dog bites have the potential to cause great personal injury to victims. However, bites from certain dogs have increased potential to cause serious physical damage to the human body.
If you could understand the danger before an animal attack occurred, it could reduce your risk significantly. However, it is not always possible to know when an attack is imminent. Instead, you must rely on common sense and practice caution when around an unfamiliar dog.
A recent study shines some light on dog bites
Over the decades, researchers have tried to pinpoint why dogs attack and how much damage a dog bite can cause. In one study, researchers used 15 years of statistics (and other data) involving facial dog bites to determine the bite severity of certain breeds. We have included some of the study results for you to consider.
- Dogs with short, wide heads, weighing between 66 and 100 lbs, are more likely to bite than most other
- Pit bulls were responsible for more reported dog bites than other breeds and are among those that cause the most severe physical harm.
- Mixed breed dogs were also responsible for many dog attacks and bites.
- German Shepherds also have a high risk of attacking and biting, and their bites typically cause severe injuries.
- Dog breeds like the Akita and the Great Dane have a low attack risk, but their bites can cause a lot of damage if they do attack.
Information about dog bites and attacks can help you practice safety around unfamiliar animals. We also want you to know that you have options for financial compensation after suffering dog bite injuries. Consider learning more about California dog bite laws if you or a loved one has suffered severe injuries.